Pheromone Trails

Hakai

Larva
This is quite a sad feature that actually makes the insane difficulty harder than it should be where your ants won't collect to the assigned trail and some will linger in random spots. The response time and pathing of the ants seems to bounce off walls sometimes.

Though another problem is the rewards from completing levels seems lackluster. The difference from medium to insane is not much and would seem like a wasted effort whereas you can easily stomp through a level on medium then have to think on insane for basically the same reward.

For example the difference in royal jelly is 9 from medium to insane. The only resource necessary for progression is royal jelly as you need upgrades to complete challenges.

Though I have high hopes for this game and love to see updates just my thoughts from around 20hrs of gameplay

I think the difference in difficulty could be expanded slightlyly. But isn't an issue for too much concern. I mean it's obvious the difference In difficulty is just for personal challenge rather then actual resource grinding.

As for the pheromone trails. I do find that once you get up around 20 tile nursery that almost half my force kinda just chills back. Idk if it's error or supposed to be doing that. But I DO like how when you destroy or move a marker that some of the ants take a moment to get off that trail and it lingers for a short time. Really makes it feel more organic and like a free flowing colony, instead of a crisp and militant stradegy game

Kaien_Saerin

Worker
Backer
Its suppose to be semi realistic, and has its advantages. When you place a phermone trail half your ants in the group with respond right away, Moving the end trail after ants are on standby will immediately move with the new end trail. Half of which are going between the start and the queen or simply idle. You shouldn't expect ants to behave how you want cause they aren't sentient and don't react too perfection. If you want faster responing ants build larger numbers of ants.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
A little tip for people really struggling with trails - pull your marker back if you're getting wiped out. Your ants will regroup.

We are keen to avoid classic RTS style control groups that are instantly responsive as they feel entirely unnatural.

Raya016

Larva
Backer
Yeah, I really like the way it feels, too. Very organic, very "swarm-like" (in absence of a better term for it).
It takes a bit of getting used to, but you do learn to predict your ants' behaviour and shape your commands accordingly.

AntViking said:
[...] Really +A job on it
I can only agree; fantastic peace of art, this game.

So long
Raya

The trails took me a minute to get used to. My suggestion is use the number by the marker to keep track of how many you have there. The game (for space sake i am assuming) doesn't show the correct number of ants. But the strength is correct. If you let it set for a short while it will gradually build to the full size of the group marker.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Some general information:

Moving pheromones will alienate any ants collecting food or fighting from the total number, so it might be more responsive than you think it is.

You can place the pheromone at a location before the final destination (as Mike recommended) to ensure you have everything going in at once when your ants have gathered.

You should generally rely on multiple of each role, instead of needing a single lvl 3 mortar or tank role to succeed.

Ant responsiveness can be improved by having enough workers in the nest to ensure the shortest wait time for eggs, and anticipating a staggered spawn pattern.