Royal Guard or Decree? which is better

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Both are situational. I personally like Royal Guard because it provides a really strong unit right next to your queen when she needs it most.

Kaien_Saerin

Worker
Backer
Personally like the Royal decree with the queen 20 second invincibility you get too keep your ants after they spawn for free.

But its situational much like how in the 2nd scientist challenge those wolf spiders reach your queen to easily and if you cant pull back your forces while they are in combat and none are dead then you want guard for sure.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
I feel that Royal Guard is better in the early game against earlier enemies, but as time goes on and your formicarium gets larger, Royal Decree gets much better. It's a choice between a set defense vs a amount of defense that starts weak, but gets stronger as one goes along.

On the second Formicarium challenge, at the start of the prolonged attack I just clustered my ants near the queen. They killed the wolf spiders, and then died to the buildup of enemy ants. Unfortunately for them, I had the 20 second invincibility AND Royal Decree. They died quickly.

Which reminds me: devs, can you change the tech system so that you can change your upgrades? Maybe the change could cost more jelly than usual, and is incremental, so people wouldn't change it every few seconds just to improve their situation temporarily. This way, if someone made the wrong choice on a tech, they wouldn't have to restart a formicarium to fix it.

@Raptorofwar I think the tech tree is supposed so simulate evolution in the ant species and as such, once a tech is evolved in the species it cannot be undone and changed. Which is why I think they don't have a way to switch tech upgrades once your ants have evolved.

I guess a fixed higher cost for switching would be enough. Royal jelly is similar to "DNA" in Plague Inc.
Switching your traits there comes with a penalty as well. Base cost x1.5 for switching, for example. Not on increments, it should just be discouraging to do but not punishing if you do it 2-3 times.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
@Dharkrayn

If someone makes a poor choice, it would be sad if they had to restart their formicarium to choose the other option. It ain't realistic, but it would be a bit easier for the player. And this is a game where you control a fake ant that can steal DNA. A bit of artistic license is fine.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Alzurana said:
I guess a fixed higher cost for switching would be enough.
Yes please.

Alzurana said:
Royal jelly is similar to "DNA" in Plague Inc.
I still think they should just call it DNA, Royal Jelly is a very unintuitive name and has nothing to do with ants either (it's a pure bee thing).

moosy

Larva
Backer
Is the royal guard automatic? I have it but when my queen goes bellow 75% nothing seems to happen, am I missing a button or something?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
moosy said:
Is the royal guard automatic? I have it but when my queen goes bellow 75% nothing seems to happen, am I missing a button or something?

It's automatic. Note it only happens in the formicarium.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
If you only expect to lose by running out of food, take royal guard and the map-wide confusion. This will do a full restore as long as eggs are in place, and give you some time plus additional help to clear anything around.

If you want a fail-safe for being in a critical position where you're losing, royal decree is better since it provides a constant supply of reinforcements, and then immunity is typically effective for this since it allows the queen some breathing room while the egg chambers pump out units. Confusion can also work though, as it would give you time to take back the area without opposition.