Split ants

buckZor

Larva
Ant counts seem to be tied to the larvae build spots, making those ants with build spots connected part of their own little family. So no, you can't split them and you seem stuck with the starting ants with build tiles around the queen. They cannot be upgraded, or removed.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Build more than one chamber to make different control groups. Make sure none of the chamber's tiles are touching or they become one group.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
If you accidentally connect two groups, you can also simply delete the tile that makes the connection.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The vegetarian ant said:
will we can have more groups ? with only five I'm generally blocked and my strategy can't support more than one hundred beach tiger beetles ;D ;)

Unlikely - it's quite rare for anyone to use more than 3 as it stands!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Mike said:
The vegetarian ant said:
will we can have more groups ? with only five I'm generally blocked and my strategy can't support more than one hundred beach tiger beetles ;D ;)

To be fair, I used 5 on the easier modes of 2.2 (2 harvest teams, no combat; 2 protection teams, no food gather, one defense team).

It would be nice to have 10 open slots, but they wouldn't show on your ant hotbar unless you have that many groups separated. I do find I sometimes would need more than 5 groups near the end of some of the 2.x levels on hard as I end up with close to 300 ants usually and it becomes harder to get them to go where I want and it is usually easier if I can have smaller groups for gathering random extra food that I don't want to send a blob of 150 workers to get.

Soccer51x

Worker
I would say 10 would be nice, but would the last one be called 0 because it's the shortcut? or would it be 1-10 or 0-9

Ensiege

Worker
Mike said:

I use 5 groups, because there are only up to 5 available. If there were 10 available, I would use up to 10 groups.

Honestly I just assumed that we would eventually get up to 10 control groups because... why only 5?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Ensiege said:
Mike said:

I use 5 groups, because there are only up to 5 available. If there were 10 available, I would use up to 10 groups.

Honestly I just assumed that we would eventually get up to 10 control groups because... why only 5?

Quite simply because 5 are enough and most people don't use all of those anyway.

More control groups would just cripple your army, since many of your ants do patrols from your markers back to the queen. The more ants you have in one group, the bigger the strike force. This isn't Starcraft 2 lol

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
JonnyC289 said:
More control groups would just cripple your army, since many of your ants do patrols from your markers back to the queen. The more ants you have in one group, the bigger the strike force. This isn't Starcraft 2 lol

Not really. You'd still have the option of using those control groups, and there are some cases where you might need them, especially when we get freeplay and potentially massive armies.

Soccer51x

Worker
Honestly 10 groups would be good for surrounded, you would need 4 gathering groups to scavenge corners, 4 kill groups, to get rid of enemies, and 2 defensive groups, seeing as it'd be esiar to kill enemies if you kill groups are dealing with something else... Usually in mine, I just end up having about 100 ants in each of my kill groups, which made certain issues when crossing tight spaces, I have noticed that they can't get through...? Issue?