!#&@ Those Mole Crickets

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I find the mole crickets infuriating! I'm not asking to get rid of them, I just want them to stop after a certain amount of waves. they should only not stop in insane mode. Maybe the narrator could say, "You have decimated the mole cricket party if there's any still left they aren't coming down." When you are on to the final room, and then they just drop down and you lose so hard you want to throw your monitor out the screen! That should only be on insane to me and some others.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Anticipate. They have a very strict pattern.

1 appears, then 2 appear. Then 1 appears, then 3 appear. Then 1 appears, then 4 appear. Repeat.

Keep an eye for the dust that heralds their return. Work fast - you're playing a challenge mode!

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I know that I even camp near my queen but they require I need more soldiers, the level requires more powerful soldiers. :mad:

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
It sounds like you might benefit from more groups of soldiers in order to meet the multiple crickets as they appear.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I had 2 groups 1 general military, 2 royal guard. The royal guard was smaller but had a decent amount of level 3s. The general military was 3x larger and had more level 2s for its size. The wave I was killed on had them coming from both sides, the left molt crickets killed most of the royal guard and because of where I put them. They responded and attacked the right mole crickets with the general military, the general military and royal guard made quick work of the right mole crickets the proceeded to the left ones.

The queen was in low health and there were 4 left mole crickets, and she was basically DEAD!

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Ok, what I really want to say is they can quickly outgrow the pace of your colony, in the mid to late stages of the level because you get kinda comfortable. And I'm playing on medium.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Gotcha. Yeah, with mole crickets the levels feel entirely new - the pace has to be fast. Check out KatherineOfSky playing with the mole crickets on medium.

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/awft9TdM1xI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
There were two reasons for this.

1st, workers are in the nest group. Typically, anything reaching the queen will wipe you if you don't have workers set in a no-combat pheromone. With the nature of mole crickets, this is even more punishing if you didn't have a habit of it.

2nd, she did not have enough food to handle the size of her army. In 1.1, much of the game has little to do with the actual combat, but rather a lot more to do with resource management.

I personally go for gradually obtaining 19 ants all at lvl 3, going for the least threatening and most rewarding groups of enemies first and working my way up. If you then also time it so that you're not too far away when a wave of multiple crickets is incoming, you shouldn't have any unexpected losses.

1.2 requires you to work fast anyway, giving you plenty of food to fight against the beefy crickets. You'll probably at most need to take on hard mode strategies, which include rapidly wiping out chambers and having a separate worker team harvest them in the mean-time (recently used this to beat Hard with the challenge active).

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Oh... Well then... that was an hour wasted :'(

Wait a minute, why is trying new strategies such a pain in the ass! I know why! Because you have to waste an hour or 2 to see if they work! :mad:

move your wokers from the maintenance group to a pheromone group and suicide them first they are cheaper to replace than warriors. have them breach and walk into the food areas so they are attacked first and warriors come in right behind them.

you might want to clear out a larger area around the queen, if you are using narrow hallways that will pretty much get you eaten, surrounding them wins.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Redmoth27 said:
Oh... Well then... that was an hour wasted :'(

Wait a minute, why is trying new strategies such a pain in the ass! I know why! Because you have to waste an hour or 2 to see if they work! :mad:

The way I look at it, what better to do before 3.1 and 3.2?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Okay, I recorded myself doing 1.1 on medium with mole crickets. Here it is. I try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it.

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5boHEbe2os" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Very well done. Personally I'd go for a little more food storage just so you have even more respawns, but that's typically only necessary in the harder modes where multiple beetles on the last wave and in earlier positions are a bigger threat.