Some ideas and complaints

Xetrius

Larva
I dig up half the terrarium where does all the sand go?
Placeable sand, this could be done in several ways
for example 1 compacted sand for every ## dug up or sand needs to get mixed with saliva (food) it could also be done by a secondary type of worker ant. to avoid player creating impenetrable barriers they should not be removable like the normal sand so they must be placed with care.

The queen placement at the beginning with a straight shot to the entrance was the most annoying in my opinion it takes a lot of the nest design possibilities away. It would be useful to be able to reposition the queen once per nest and make the relocation a slow process during which the queen does not produce any eggs and it costs food. So that you split the game in 2 phases the early nest where you build up the main chambers and get some necessary resources going and post replacement when you saved enough to safely transport your queen to a more tactical location.

An other thing is the enemy pathfinding, when I create a maze and as soon as the enemy is 1/3th the way in I create a by pass but as soon as I do the enemy turns around and goes for the bypass. They always go in a straight line for the queen no matter the structures I build. They shouldn't take the right path at each intersection.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
- To the same place the music comes from.
- We've struggled with the idea of rebuilding all the way back since we started working on the game, somewhere around 2014. We haven't found a way that works for us, almost entirely for gameplay reasons. Allowing the player to turtle in breaks the level design in several ways.
- She's there for a good reason - to make the level the right amount of challenging. Repositioning the queen would create a similar problem to point 2 in that the levels are designed around defending a particular spot, a la Dungeon Keeper. In short - allowing queen movement would make the game too easy.

It might be possible to have the entrance have a little at a time form an 'anthill' when substrate is dug up- but I am not the dev so I don't know what goes into the development of the game... just a suggestion though! ;D Hopefully in a future update there might be a place for all the sand or whatever it is they dig up to go. But it is their game so if that never happens then that's fine as well.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Mike said:
- She's there for a good reason - to make the level the right amount of challenging. Repositioning the queen would create a similar problem to point 2 in that the levels are designed around defending a particular spot, a la Dungeon Keeper. In short - allowing queen movement would make the game too easy.
Actually... that's not really true.
The game is mostly about keeping your colony's economy running, the moment your queen takes damage you've either screwed up big time by sending your forces WAY off or your economy has collapsed and it's over anyway.

Aside a few events with bugged spiders that instantly attacked the queen I NEVER had anything get through to the queen when I wasn't completely screwed already. Relocating the queen to another place will have zero effect on the gameplay, also you can't really hide her in the furthest corner of the nest anyway because replacing brood would take ages.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
Well, I've had a few small enemies get to the queen when I opened a corridor and an enemy wave came at just the wrong time, and when mole crickets attacked at the same time as a slave-maker raid. But those were at lower difficulties, so they probably won't apply on higher difficulties. I just built my army poorly, but it was easy enough that I survived.